OVPL / CDDL

Alex Bligh alex at alex.org.uk
Fri Oct 14 09:54:57 UTC 2005

I am conscious there is some sort of board meeting today and wanted to
update the board on what has been happening with the discussions we've
been having with Sun re incorporating the non-OVPL-specific bits back
into the CDDL.

I had hoped we'd have an agreed joint statement on this by today, but being
busy people on multiple timezones, logistics seem to have got in the way,
and that seems to have presented that happening up till now - I hope
it will happen in short order.

Suffice to say, following my conversation with Simon Phipps from Sun, the
following have emerged:
1. Sun is, as I understand, interested in improving the CDDL, especially
   improving its performance in multiple jurisdictions. They are interested
   in our, and anyone else's input.
2. However, there is other work going on, and they do not envisage a new
   version coming out for many months (at the earliest) - any revision
   is likely to have more changes in than just the revisions we propose
   (if they take them), and be a substantial time away.
3. Notwithstanding, we have agreed to continue to work together.

Therefore, it looks like rolling those amendments back into the CDDL is
not going to be doable in the immediate future. We therefore request
the OVPL be considered for approval as is, on the assumption Sun are
not going to make the "common changes" to the CDDL in the near future.

Alex