For Approval: MindTree Public License

Ian Lance Taylor ian at airs.com
Thu Oct 6 22:08:35 UTC 2005

"Wilson, Andrew" <andrew.wilson at intel.com> writes:

> >> If You have knowledge that a license to a third party's intellectual
> >> property right is required to exercise the rights
> >> granted by this MPL to Your Modifications, including the right to use
>
> >> an API, You must declare so and describe the claim and provide
> >> adequate information about such party in the said file.
> >
> > This clause is the most troublesome from an approval perspective.
> > APSL 1.0 had a similar clause, and it was generally considered to be a
> > bad idea.
>
> Well, to be fair, MPL (as in Mozilla) does require you to complete a
> "Legal"
> file if a Contributor is aware that patents (the Contributor's or
> other's)
> read on covered code.  So, something not too dissimilar has been
> approved
> by OSI in the past.

I was unclear.  I was really commenting on the earlier part of the
clause, specifically:

"You shall submit, in writing or electronically in a manner that can
be unequivocally attributed to You, Your Modifications to MindTree, or
any other agency authorized to make available the Original Licensed
Software, for its inclusion in the Original Licensed Software."

Ian