Open Source and Contributor Agreements

Danese Cooper danese at gmail.com
Sat Nov 26 16:30:05 UTC 2005

A classic example of how the contributor agreement is preferable to
mandatory grant-back (from the FOSS developer point of view) is
NeoOffice/J, a derivative of OpenOffice.org codebase ported for use
on MacOSX.  The developers of the Mac port were (in their opinion)
having trouble getting their patches checked timely into the mother
codebase and decided they didn't want their copyrights jointly owned
by Sun (Sun uses a Joint Copyright Assignment instead of an simple
assignment), so they forked the codebase and maintain a copy with
their changes and their installers on a separate website.  This has
allowed Mac users to have a higher quality experience of
OpenOffice.org, and the NeoOffice/J developers have garnered a small
bit of direct compensation for their differentiators (in the form of
an optional shareware monetary contribution at install).  Sun gets to
claim OpenOffice.org is well supported on the MacOSX platform (which
they were unwilling to commit engineering resources to accomplishing
themselves) That's how its supposed to work.

Danese