License in question

Chuck Swiger chuck at codefab.com
Thu Nov 17 21:59:01 UTC 2005

Hi--

Martin Konold wrote:
> Am Mittwoch, 16. November 2005 21:56 schrieb Chuck Swiger:
[ ... ]
>> appears to be GPL-compatible, but I'd ask for a second opinion from
>> <licensing at fsf.org> if you wanted to be sure.
>
> I assume that the license is incompatible to the GPL because
>
>>> 4. This notice may not be removed or altered./
>
> This adds an extra obligation not present in the GPL.

This adds an extra obligation, true, but it does not conflict with any of the
clauses in the GPL.  It's very similar to this clause from the MIT/X11 license:

"The above copyright notice and this permission notice shall be included in all
copies or substantial portions of the Software."

...and the FSF states that the MIT license is GPL-compatible.

--
-Chuck