Assistance/advice in choosing a license for POV-Ray 4.0

Rod Dixon, J.D., LL.M. roddixon at cyberspaces.org
Tue Nov 15 18:15:00 UTC 2005

I agree that the quoted answer below makes a lot of intuitive sense and,
ultimately, the conclusion may prove to be correct, but that would be
fortuitous.  Whether the vendor's code works just fine is not the correct
legal analysis.  To increase the likelihood that ab answer to this complex
question has a basis in law (and not pure speculation) I think we have to
refrain from highly abstract comments about the interaction between an
undefined modification of an open source codebase.  It may help if someone
prosed a specific (but very brief, please) example of an allegedy
permissible or infringing use.

- Rod

"If the vendor's code fetches the GPL'ed component without the end-users'
intervention, and if the vendor's code will not run without it, then the
vendor's code is probably a derivative work and the behavior you've
described
would be violating the GPL.

On the other hand, if the vendor's code works just fine by itself, but it
provides an optional mechanism for the end-user to download additional
components, then the vendor is not violating the GPL.  If the combination
of
the vendor code and the GPLed component does not fall within the terms of
the
GPL, then the end-user may not redistribute the combination."

Rod Dixon
www.cyberspaces.org