Assistance/advice in choosing a license for POV-Ray 4.0

Chris Cason ccosilist at povray.org
Tue Nov 15 13:26:21 UTC 2005

Rod Dixon, J.D., LL.M. wrote:
> I may be missing something in the issue you are raising.  Once the library
> finds its way onto an end-user's system (regardless of method of
> distribution or install), why does it matter to you that a commercial

Really ? Are you suggesting that even if the DLL was installed illegally
(without the end-user obtaining a license), or via 'stealth' for example,
that it should be of no concern to us if it is used ?

[If you aren't suggesting that, then the term 'regardless of the method
 of distribution or install' isn't really correct, because in that case
 the method *does* matter, as I have already pointed out in another post]

> be no end-user issue. As for the commercial developer, if you want to force
> the developer to disclose to the end-user that the dll is being used by the
> developer's program, you should solve this by coding the library to display
> a notice - - of course, this seems like an odd thing to do, but it's your

I don't see what you are trying to point out here. It's not as if my
example is unusual, in fact the LGPL makes exactly this stipulation. Yet
you seem to view my example as out of the norm. Our desire to ensure that
other software acknowledges use of our code is no different than that of
the tens of thousands of other projects who have chosen to use (for
example) the LGPL.

-- Chris