OVPL vote results

Rishab Aiyer Ghosh rishab at dxm.org
Sat Nov 12 02:33:20 UTC 2005

i should point out that projects that ask for copyright assignment from
contributors (not limited to companies; apache and FSF - for GNU - do this
too) do not use the licence as a mechanism to force this. nothing in the
licence stops me from releasing the rishab-sql distribution of, say, mysql,
with copyright over my contributions and mysql copyright over the original
contributions. copyright assignment requirements only work as long as the
original author is seen as a trusted steward of the code; nothing in the
licence prevents anyone else from "the community" from forking their own
derived work without copyright assignment, e.g. in case the company stops
distributing future versions as open source.

a grant-back clause in the _licence_, however, forces code (if not copyright)
grant back to the original copyright holder.

-rishab