Contributor Agreements (Was: Licensing question)

Hurst, Annette L. Annette.Hurst at hellerehrman.com
Thu Nov 10 18:57:39 UTC 2005

I am an IP litigation attorney and a new participant on this list, but I have long had an interest in open source issues.  The issue of enforcement of open source licenses is a legal issue of considerable interest and ongoing debate in the business and legal community.  Contributor agreements assigning ownership are central to efforts to enforce any open source license.  Yet the notion of assigning the ownership of open source code can be very controversial among the copyleft and free software communities.  A good example of a contributor agreement that is insufficient to protect enforcement rights is the one in use at Wikipedia.  The importance of assignments cannot be understated, particularly given the recent Ninth Circuit en banc decision in the Silvers v. Sony case which said that the right to enforce the copyright cannot be assigned independently of an ownership interest.  I think if OSI took a position endorsing assignment of rights in contributor agreements for the purpose of facilitating enforcement efforts, it would substantially improve the enforceability of all OSI certified licenses.  This is certainly also consistent with FSF's position.