Educational Community License question

Jules hammerjammer at hammerjammer.net
Tue Nov 1 19:06:32 UTC 2005

Hi Russell,

Thanks loads for the reply!
I was confused about where to put things such as (webpage URL, email
address, etc, u know, stuff that constitutes a notice)

I was interpreting that everything from "Licensed under the
Educational Community License version 1.0..." onwards must not be
changed in order to comply with the OSI ECL License and thus be able
to use the green OSI-approved license logo --- and this is what you
are mentioned in your reply, if i read you correctly (did i read you
correctly? :) )

Thanks very much for helping me identify where to put the stuff
(between the "Copyright (c) year...." section and the "Licensed under
the Educational..." portion).
It got really confusing as i didn't know where the ECL actually
started, i.e. if it included the line "Copyright (c) year..." and you
could not add anything other than what was listed as an example in
that line, etc.

Once i apply the ECL license to my work, there is no additional
special permission required from OSI itself in order to use the green
OSI mark to show that the document is licensed under OSI, yes?

May i make a suggestion for the benefit of newbies like me who are
not experts in this field of interpretation of licenses:  it might
help to expressly identify the different parts of the webpage since
the license proper is not the entire webpage's contents but only a
part of it.  I had mistakenly thought EVERYTHING that was displayed
on that page had to be included inside to be constituted as a valid
ECL1.0, INCLUDING the first paragraph at the top of the webpage, thus
my confusion.  So, using the webpage of the ECL v1.0 as an example:

<!--instructions on the usage of this license--->
This Educational Community License (the "License") applies to any
original work of authorship (the "Original Work") whose owner (the
"Licensor") has placed the following notice immediately following the
copyright notice for the Original Work:

<!---your copyright--->
Copyright (c) <year> <copyright holders>

<!--fill in any additional notices or info here-->

<!---the following section is the License proper and may not be
altered--->
Licensed under the Educational Community License version 1.0...etc
etc...

This could help cut down on newbies like me raising the questions i
just did  :)

Again, thanks Russell & Joseph for all your help!  You've helped me
understand the webpage-display-vs-license-proper a lot more clearly.

Rgds,