For Approval: Open-Realty License

Alex Rousskov rousskov at measurement-factory.com
Tue May 31 22:55:40 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2005/05/24 (MDT), <ryan at transparent-tech.com> wrote:

> 4. All websites using Open-Realty must leave the html comment that reads
> “<!--Open-Realty is distributed by Transparent Technologies and is
> licensed under the Open-Realty License. See
> http://www.open-realty.org/oslicense.html for more information.-->”
> intact.

Does the above requirement mean that if I use an Open-Realty
derivative to build a web site, my web site has to use HTML pages?
Can I use XHTML, XML, plain text, Java, flash, etc.? If I use alternative
format, how can I comply with the requirement expressed in HTML-like
format?

Also, if I do use HTML or alike, will I need to add the above
comment to every page on the site, just one page, front page?

Can I deploy a 3rd party ICAP (www.i-cap.org) service in front
of my web site that filters the above comment out of all my web
site pages without altering Open Realty software? Would that
violate your license?

Does transalting the HTML comment into a different encoding
violate the "must leave intact" rule? If no, would any encoding
be acceptible? And if yes, would not restricting the encoding
prohibit users from creating web sites that must use non-"ASCII"
encoding?

Finally, if I am using an Open-Realty derivative to build something
other than a web site, can I ignore requirement #4? What is your
definition of a web site then? Is an RSS server a web site?

I wonder if it is possible to make the above advertising requirement
technology nuetral and avoid all of these questions.

Thank you,

Alex.
P.S. Please template your license, including the text of the
advertising clause.