restricting the use of open source software

Lawrence Rosen lrosen at rosenlaw.com
Mon Mar 28 19:35:14 UTC 2005

Joel West wrote:

> Couldn't we add a line to the end of a license that says
> 	Nothing in this license obviates any requirement that the
> 	recipient comply with the laws of his or her host government.
>
> Then we wouldn't need an Intel-type license, but Intel's lawyers could be
> happy, and the people of Cuba could write derivative works and e-mail them
> to North Korea or wherever.

The AFL and OSL say it this way:

15) Right to Use. You may use the Original Work in all ways not otherwise
restricted or conditioned by this License or by law, and Licensor promises
not to interfere with or be responsible for such uses by You.

/Larry

Lawrence Rosen
Rosenlaw & Einschlag, technology law offices (www.rosenlaw.com)
3001 King Ranch Road, Ukiah, CA 95482
707-485-1242  ●  fax: 707-485-1243
Author of “Open Source Licensing: Software Freedom
               and Intellectual Property Law” (Prentice Hall 2004)