An explanation of the difficulty of solving license proliferation in one sentence

David Dillard david.dillard at veritas.com
Wed Mar 9 17:40:59 UTC 2005

Hmmm...

"Fewer" does not mean "one."

> If that is unacceptable, then someone pushing for this would
> be kind to present a rational argument for allowing other
> licenses to exist that also excludes new licenses.
>
> Licenses exist to serve the needs of the SOFTWARE AUTHORS.
> Since there are many, many more small organizations writing
> software, they deserve preference.  Licenses are not, and
> should not be, written primarily to conform to the needs of
> the licensees,

Primarily?  No.  But if open source authors want their software to be
adopted by as wide an audience as possible, they SHOULD carefully choose
the license they use.

> and especially not primarily to the needs of
> big corporate licensees so that "more big corps get on board
> open-source software."

Are you against making ANY changes to help corporations use open source?
If so, why?

> If a project wants to use a license that is not well accepted
> and not compatible with other licenses, then yes, they should
> be gently reminded of that at license submission, but they
> must remain free to do that and take the consequences of
> incompatibility.
>
> Why should they care if their OSD-compliant vanity license
> conflicts with all of HP's open source IP?  They should care
> by natural consequences, not artificial ones. They have
> incentive enough to create compatible IP, without the OSI
> deciding FOR THEM.
>
> Make no mistake, these 3 principles are not about reducing
> OSI workload, it is a method that LICENSEES are attempting to
> force artificial consequences onto authors who desire to
> release OSS software under licenses incompatible with
> someone's "approved list."

It's not about "forcing," it's about "asking."  There's no way for a
licensee to force a licensor to change their license.

Open Source is supposed to be community.  People in a community
cooperate, that's what makes it a community.