interpreted language specific open source license ?

Herko Coomans herko at xoops.org
Fri Mar 4 12:43:41 UTC 2005

If a program released under the GPL uses plug-ins, what are the
requirements for the licenses of a plug-in.
     It depends on how the program invokes its plug-ins. If the program
uses fork and exec to invoke plug-ins, then the plug-ins are separate
programs, so the license for the main program makes no requirements for
them.

     If the program dynamically links plug-ins, and they make function
calls to each other and share data structures, we believe they form a
single program, which must be treated as an extension of both the main
program and the plug-ins. This means the plug-ins must be released under
the GPL or a GPL-compatible free software license, and that the terms of
the GPL must be followed when those plug-ins are distributed.

     If the program dynamically links plug-ins, but the communication
between them is limited to invoking the `main' function of the plug-in
with some options and waiting for it to return, that is a borderline case.

(source: http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#TOCGPLAndPlugins)

XOOPS' PHP modules could be considered plugins. This FAQ entry explains
some of the possibilities, but does not address the interpreted laguage
use of 'plugins'. This is where GNU.org mentions the dynamic linking.

Herko Coomans
XOOPS.org Project Manager
Chairman of the XOOPS Foundation

[e] herko at xoops.org
[w] http://www.xoops.org
[a] P.O.Box 75, 7400 AB, Deventer, The Netherlands
[t] +31 64 833 64 34
[f] +31 84 747 05 50

XOOPS: Open Source dynamic web Content Management System

The information sent by means of this e-mail message is intended only
for the use of the addressee. Publication, duplication, distribution
and/or forwarding to third parties of this message, as well as use of
the information by other persons than the intended recipient, is
please notify the sender immediately by returning it.