For Approval: CeCILL

Mark Wielaard mark at klomp.org
Wed Jun 22 09:58:54 UTC 2005

Hi Stéphane,

On Thu, 2005-06-16 at 17:05 +0200, Stéphane Dalmas wrote:
> Besides, the fact that you can re-license as GPL does not make CeCILL
> useless, as re-licensing does not make BSD-like licenses useless.
>
> As I also mentionned in an earlier answer on this list, the compatibility
> clause is a kind of tribute to the work of the FSF and the community that use
> and endorse it.

Creating compatible licenses is highly appreciated. Especially
compatibility with the GPL [1]. License proliferation is a big problem,
but the bigger problem is creating new licenses that are not compatible
(don't let you mix and share code) with the dominant licenses out there.
Thanks for addressing this point specifically in your new license.

Cheers,

Mark

[1] http://www.dwheeler.com/essays/gpl-compatible.html