OVPL and open ownership

Alex Bligh alex at alex.org.uk
Wed Jul 27 13:26:51 UTC 2005

Chris,

--On 26 July 2005 22:44 +0200 Chris Zumbrunn <chris at czv.com> wrote:

> On Jul 26, 2005, at 6:21 PM, Alex Bligh wrote:
>
>> --On 26 July 2005 17:44 +0200 Chris Zumbrunn <chris at czv.com> wrote:
>>
>>> If the terms would be the same then either both the initial
>>> contributor
>>> and all other contributors COULD NOT use others contributions in
>>> proprietary versions or both the initial contributor and all other
>>> contributors COULD use others contributions, including the initial
>>> contribution, in proprietary versions.
>>
>> I don't think that is correct. If it was, this would effectively
>> mandate
>> that all OSD approved licenses prohibited dual licensing by the ID
>> and by contributors.
>
> Why? I do not see a problem as long as there is no asymmetry inside the
> open source license. Dual-licensing works around this outside the scope
> of the OSI approved licenses.

OSD 3 does not talk about asymmetry. It talks about the contributions
being made available on the same terms as the initial contribution.
They are (under the GPL, MPL, CDDL, QPL, OVPL as originally
drafted, and - I believe - OVPL as proposed).

>> As I understand OSD #3 is saying that the contributions MUST be
>> available
>> under "the same terms as the license of the original software"
>> (that's the OVPL with the specified ID). It doesn't say they mustn't be
>> available on other terms as well (for instance more favourable terms).
>> Clearly, anything licensed on BSD terms is going to be available under
>> any OSI approved license.
>
> No, no, no. If your reading would be correct, any BSD-ish licensed code
> would be total copy-left far beyond the GPL. Surely you know that you are
> not required to distribute a BSD-derivative work under the BSD license
> :-)

Of course I recognize that - However what I wrote agrees with that, rather
than contradicts it. I am saying OSD #3 does not prohibit mandating
contributors contributor licensors making contributions available on more
favourable (to the licensee)'s terms than the ID's license, provided by
doing so they are as a matter of fact also available available to licensees
under the ID's license. If contributor's licenses to licensees were
BSD-esque, then as a matter of fact they would be available to the
licensee under OVPL terms, because either they or any third party
could sublicense them (see below) to the putative licensee under the
OVPL. Alternatively (and without losing anything) the license could
explicitly state they should be available both under the OVPL and
under a BSD-esque license, which (whilst redundant) would make it
crystal clear that modifications would be available under the same
license as the original contribution (clearly they would be available
under other licenses too).

> Generally, you can sublicense your derivative work in any way that
> complies with the license of the original work.

Not really - see Lawrence Rosen's book. Normally in reciprocal
license the grant comes directly from the contributors - it is not
a chain of sublicenses; he argues cogently that it is possible
to read the BSD license (and some other academic licenses) that way.
As a matter of construction, license grants are in general
not sublicensable unless there is something specific in the license
to show they are.

> The way I read OSD #3, it is saying that the contributors must have the
> right to distribute their modifications under the same terms as the
> initial contributor distributed the initial contribution under. Meaning,
> they do not have to grant the initial contributor anything that he did
> not grant them.

Let's go to the text. It says:

: The license must allow modifications and derived works, and must allow
: them to be distributed under the same terms as the license of the
: original software.

So I agree with all you wrote except the sentence starting "Meaning".
The clear meaning is that the "terms of the license must be the same",
not that it is symmetric. It could specify that both agree to genuflect
in front of a graven image of Bill Gates. That would not be a good
thing, but it would not be in breach of OSD #3. "Under the same terms"
means "the license has the same terms".

>> If your point is that the latter is ugly, and it's far harder to
>> see how it fits the OSD (though I think it does), I agree.
>
> No, my point is just that any of these variations do not eliminate the
> asymmetry between the initial contribution and any subsequent
> contributions. I know the asymmetry in the OVPL is intentional.

Correct

>> The MPL and (I think) the CDDL (I haven't looked for others) materially
>> differentiate between the ID and subsequent contributors - see past
>> messages. Granted, not so much as the QPL or the OVPL, but nevertheless
>> they do.
>
> In which way do the MPL or CDDL "materially differentiate" between the ID
> and subsequent contributors? The way I see it they make almost no
> differentiation at all when compared with the OVPL. Which past messages
> are you referring to?

See the message below for examples of how the MPL differentiates between
the ID and other contributors. The QPL is an obvious further example. Note
I have not trawled all of them. Further note that whilst my MPL example
(reading to work like the MPL) is a deliberately extreme interpretation,
even if that interpretation is incorrect, it still gives the ID different
rights. There's more in the rest of the (long) thread but you have the
Message-ID now so I will save list volume.

Alex