OVPL and open ownership

David Barrett dbarrett at quinthar.com
Mon Jul 25 08:33:48 UTC 2005

Nice to meet you David.

David Ryan wrote:
> In regards to the idea that contributions be made under a BSD license.
> I'm not sure I see how this solves any problems.

I agree with you.  However, I've been persuaded to believe that the OVPL
as written conflicts with open-source principles in that it gives the
community no "escape hatch" to ditch an ID and go their own route.

One proposal to address this was to mandate that contributions be made
under BSD.  As I've argued, I think this is legally dangerous and
logistically infeasible.

As an alternative, I've proposed that contributors be given the option
of licensing their new code under a modified OVPL (which I'm terming
OVPL') that does not include section 3.3.  Because this option can only
be exercised explicitly, most contributions would simply submit under
the terms of the full OVPL (with 3.3 intact).  But in the extreme case
where the community chooses to abandon the ID, they can make the extra
effort to explicitly contribute code under OVPL' (without 3.3), and
thereby deny the ID's exclusive privileges on new code they contribute.

I believe my proposal satisfies the open-source requirements while
ensuring that OVPL works as originally intended for all but the most
extreme situations (and preserves the maximum value for the ID even then).

Does this proposal make sense?  Do you think it accomplishes what I
claim it does?  If not, where do my claims and reality conflict?

Thanks!

-david