Are implicit dual-licensing agreements inherently anti-open?

David Barrett dbarrett at quinthar.com
Fri Jul 22 00:34:24 UTC 2005

Michael Bernstein wrote:
> But you want to make this a condition of the license. For a number of
> reasons, even if the resulting license were determined to be OSD
> compliant, I don't think this would work. At all. Being able to roll
> other people's work into your proprietary offering is a *privilege* not
> a right.

It's very clear that the OVPL makes you uncomfortable, and that you
might not contribute under its terms.  But could you please detail:

1) Which OSI principle does the OVPL violate, and how?

2) Why might the OVPL be unenforceable?

I agree with your assessment that an ID could be a total loser and abuse
his privileges in such a way that hamstrings the project and pisses
people off.  The OVPL was never intended to make people nice or smart.

But it seems to me that *at worst*, if the ID is wholly malicious in
every possible way, the greatest harm he can cause is... not
redistribute contributions.  I mean, the *absolute worst case scenario*
is really not bad at all as anybody can just take the whole body of
source code, set up an alternate repository, and manage it like any
other open-source project.  Problem solved.

Furthermore, you seem to be discounting that there's any possible way
that such an arrangement could go "right".  I mean, do you disagree that
it's possible an ID could be smart, could treat his community of
contributors fairly, and could actually release code in an open way --
code that probably wouldn't have been released at all otherwise -- such
that he and everyone benefits?

Nobody is obligated to use the OVPL.  Nobody is obligated to contribute
under the OVPL.  It's just another option that, depending on the
application and participants, can go well or badly.  Just like any other
license.

-david