Are implicit dual-licensing agreements inherently anti-open?

David Barrett dbarrett at quinthar.com
Thu Jul 21 07:39:30 UTC 2005

Michael Bernstein wrote:
> This will most
> likely have the effect of discouraging both a free software community
> (other than part-time noodling and some bugfixes) and a proprietary
> vendor ecology (other than superficial rebranding) from growing around
> the OVPL code
> What was it you were hoping to accomplish with this license, again?

Well I can't speak to anyone else's intent, but my interest is in using
the OVPL to license the core, shared infrastructure, and having a clean
API beyond which contributors can create plugins using any license (open
source or commercial, their choice).

Thus I'm primarily looking for contributors to supply bugfixes to the
infrastructure as well as refactor the API in order to support their
plugins.  The bulk of their work, however, would go into their own
plugins, which are licensed however they see fit (GPL, BSD, commercial,
etc.).

The OVPL is interesting to me because it allows me to keep a modicum of
control over the infrastructure, as well as maintain future commercial
licensing opportunities, while still encouraging a diverse community of
plugin developers.  Furthermore, in the process of users developing and
testing their plugins, I hope that the developers find ways to fix and
improve the shared infrastructure on which all depend.

So far as I can tell, no other license gives me the flexibility
necessary to do what I want.  Whether it'll work in my specific case
remains to be determined, but this is the overall thrust of my goal.

-david