Are implicit dual-licensing agreements inherently anti-open?

Stéphane Croisier scroisier2 at jahia.com
Fri Jul 15 13:32:07 UTC 2005

Jim Driscoll, currently project manager for Glassfish, has blogged
"<http://weblogs.java.net/blog/driscoll/archive/2005/07/newest_concern.html>Newest
Concern on Sun's Open Source Strategy," addressing similar concerns
over copyright assignment to Sun under the CDDL.

The ensuing discussion thread brings up some interesting points. One
poster went into great detail about SUN getting a way to for the
project back to a proprietary license while being able to continue
using all third parties contributions. Same issue, same debate...

>The CDDL and the Copyright grant are completely independent, and
>basically unrelated. I think the CDDL is a fine license, as it
>balances programmer rights and user rights. But as Jim mentioned,
>copyright trumps license. With copyright, you can change the license.
>
>Several years ago, Borland released the Interbase Database source
>code as an Open Source project. They then, quickly, turned around
>and brought it back in house. Obviously, it was immediately forked
>and today we have Firebird, which as far as I can tell is on a
>divergent course from Interbase.
>
>Interbase wasn't free long enough for any community work to have
>been done on it before it was taken back, and I'm not familiar with
>their license. But it is an example of a company "changing its mind"
>regarding an open source project.
>
>With the copyright grant of the SCA, Sun has the ability of taking
>the totality of the work, both original code and new submissions,
>and forking it for a completely internal, closed source project, and
>then being able to relicense that code in any way it sees fit. After
>a year of work, Sun can take the GlassFish project, update it,
>change it, repackage it and relicense it as "Java AS 10 Super
>Edition". They can integrate enterprise clustering, managment, etc.,
>and are not obligated to return any changes to the community.
>
>If a community member tried to do the same thing, any changes they
>made to the original source code that were necessary to implement
>those changes WOULD have to be returned to the community (at least
>made available) because of the terms of the CDDL.
>
>So, if I wanted to make GlassFish Enterprise, even though I wouldn't
>be obligated to release my "Enterprise Management Console" or
>whatever, since it may well be a new creation and not under the
>terms of the CDDL, however if I had to make internal changes to
>better support, say, clustering, those changes are required by the
>CDDL to be released.
>
>But since Sun holds copyright, they are not obligated by the CDDL to
>release those internal changes, as they are not obligated to keep
>the CDDL license on the code.

And: