Time Limit Functionality

Anderson, Kelly KAnderson at dentrix.com
Thu Jul 14 19:31:36 UTC 2005

I know that one of the premises of open source is that you are allowed
to do pretty much anything with the code you want to in terms of fields
of endeavor. However, I'm wondering if there would be a way to craft a
license that would simultaneously be open source, but would prevent
others from implementing a specific feature for a time.

For example, suppose you wanted to release an email program as open
source, but you wanted to prevent (say for two years) anyone from
implementing a mass mailer using that source code.

I know this gets pretty close to item 6. No Discrimination Against
Fields of Endeavor, but I'm not sure it's exactly the same.

Comments?

-Kelly

E-Mail messages may contain viruses, worms, or other malicious code. By reading the message and opening any attachments, the recipient accepts full responsibility for taking protective action against such code. Sender is not liable for any loss or damage arising from this message.

The information in this e-mail is confidential and may be legally privileged. It is intended solely for the addressee(s). Access to this e-mail by anyone else is unauthorized.