license with patent grants appropriate for specifications?

Thorsten Glaser tg at 66h.42h.de
Sun Jan 23 19:29:20 UTC 2005

Chuck Swiger dixit:

> What you say here is true, but if the original software is OSD-compliant, then
> the patent license(s) for the original software need also be freely available
> to non-conforming applications.  OSD #3 states: "The license must allow
> modifications and derived works, and must allow them to be distributed under
> the same terms as the license of the original software."

It must _allow_ derivatives to be open source.
!= It _forces_ all derivatives to be open source.

Look at the BSD licence, it's the best example. It allows binary-only
distributions to be BSD licenced thus "open source" (well, except that
there's no source which could bear the trademark). We had this already.

//mirabile