brainstorming

Brian Behlendorf brian at collab.net
Sun Jan 16 07:57:57 UTC 2005

Ben, it can't be mere coincidence that you start this thread on the same
day that IBM makes its announcement of its "patents pledge":

http://www.ibm.com/ibm/licensing/patents/pledgedpatents.pdf

And see the corresponding discussions and articles linked from slashdot,
osdir.com, etc. I'm not sure why IBM decided to call it a "legally-binding
pledge" rather than a license, but I'll call it a license for shorthand.

It's a very good thing to see happen.  It's a defensive move in what
people are worried would be the next SCO-like attack on Linux or other
open source projects.  While the press releases and articles trumpted the
"value" such ideas might bring to the OS community if implemented, the
bigger value in publishing this is being able to raise the costs for
anyone considering initiating a lawsuit against an Open Source project -
because if you do, your rights to use *any* OS-licensed software that
implements those patents is terminated.

Even though this license can apply to any OS-licensed software, it
has a different effect on derivative works than the OS license itself
might have, simply because the license doesn't also extend to derivative
works that are not OS-licensed.  For example: if a corporation were to
download an IBM-patent-encumbered Apache codebase from apache.org,
incorporate that codebase into their proprietary work, and then
redistribute the resulting work under a non-OS-license, then the IBM
patent license would not extend to this new derivative work - even though,
by the terms of the Apache license, releasing a non-OS-licensed derivative
work is perfectly fine.  This is not *quite* like the GPL since it appears
that the corporation could probably find a way to redistribute the
patent-encumbered code under an OS license without releasing the whole
derivative work; so I won't use the term "viral", but it's at least
an additional complication.

If, if, IBM were to say that the patent license applies to any
OS-licensed-work, as well as any derivative of that work (so long as the
patent being licensed was originally in the OS-licensed-work) that would
solve the problem.  It would still mean that licensees would have to
refrain from patent enforcement against OS projects, something the Apache
license does not require except in a very limited circumstance.  But... I
think that's a reasonable additional restriction.

Unless such a change is made, though, anyone writing BSD or
Apache-licensed code would probably do well to *not* examine the list of
patents that IBM has granted, for that would (I contend) more or less
compell them to note any patents that may apply, and that would in essence
constitute a major additional restriction above those licenses.  GPL
authors would never need to worry; nor would authors who publish under
weak copyleft licenses like the MPL or CPL.

Making sure that patent lawsuits are a mutual-assured-desctruction
scenario seems more useful (to me) than compelling Open Source
redistribution of patent-encumbered works.

 	Brian