license with patent grants appropriate for specifications?

Lawrence Rosen lrosen at rosenlaw.com
Tue Jan 11 18:39:14 UTC 2005

The compromise I try to reach with patent owners in the context of industry
standards is that
(1) patent owners may choose to limit the scope of their patent license
grants to compliant implementations, and
(2) those patent licenses may not restrict anyone from creating and
distributing non-compliant implementations.

Point 2 is necessary so as to be consistent with open source freedom to
create derivative works. Point 1 recognizes that patent owners and standards
organizations are usually not interested in expressly granting broad patent
licenses for non-compliant implementations.

As to the specification copyright license, it is consistent with open source
principles if it grants you permission to create derivative works of the
specification. [Note that this is also consistent with the right of anybody
to create a derivative work of a published patent.] But anyone creating
non-compliant implementations of an industry standard should read the scope
of the patent license grants carefully to determine if additional patent
licenses will be necessary to make, use or sell those products.

/Larry

P.S. I'm cross-posting this on the IETF IPR-WG list, because there is mutual
interest in both the open source licensing community and the IETF standards
community about how to license patents and copyrights for industry
standards.

Lawrence Rosen
Rosenlaw & Einschlag, technology law offices (www.rosenlaw.com)
3001 King Ranch Road, Ukiah, CA 95482
707-485-1242  ●  fax: 707-485-1243
Author of “Open Source Licensing: Software Freedom
               and Intellectual Property Law” (Prentice Hall 2004)

<snip>