question about copying small amounts of code from BSD, MIT o r Apache 1.1 licensed open source...

Russell Nelson nelson at crynwr.com
Thu Jan 6 16:23:35 UTC 2005

Chad.Woodford at windriver.com writes:
 > In the end, this is just an artifact of the self-licensing feature of
 > open source code.  It's a brave new world.

Yes, it is.  Not for several hundred years have we had the situation
where an amateur sitting in his comfy den can create inventions that
can change the world.  We've gotten accustomed to businesses being
able to deal with businesses as suppliers of essential components,
with a commercial transaction behind each, and contract law supporting
them.  Our business methods and case law have this assumption built
into them.  It's going to take a while to adjust.

It's not just a software thing.  Soon (ten years, tops, absolute max,
no more than, all cynicism intended) we'll have software creating and
assembling functional objects.  You won't go to the store to buy a
toaster, you'll download a toaster program and hand it to your machine
building machine.

--
--My blog is at angry-economist.russnelson.com  | Freedom means allowing
Crynwr sells support for free software  | PGPok | people to do things the