question about copying small amounts of code from BSD, MIT or Apache 1.1 licensed open source...

Pete Eakle pete.eakle at gmail.com
Wed Jan 5 22:43:24 UTC 2005

if I am looking for examples of how a certain API is invoked, and I
find a good example within a method of some open source with a
permissive license, such as BSD, can I copy those few lines of code
into my program without having to also add the BSD copyright statement
to my program?

The New BSD license talks about "Redistributions of source code", as
when you must "retain the above copyright notice".  But by copying a
few lines of code (say, just a piece of a method or subroutine), does
that constitute a "Redistribution"?   Anyone aware of what the law
says about this, or where I might go to find out?

Thanks a lot.

    -Pete