Permissions not granted by GPL

cody koeninger codykoeninger at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 16 04:52:08 UTC 2005

Apologies in advance if this question is inappropriate
or has already been covered.  I have read the GPL faq.
 I was not able to find a search interface for the
license-discuss list archives, and google coverage of
the list is very sparse.

Can someone point out the faults in the following line
of reasoning?

A. From section 0 of the GPL- "Activities other than
copying, distribution and modification are not
covered by this License; they are outside its scope."
This seems to mean that the GPL does not grant
permissions regarding: public display and public
performance under US copyright law; making, using,
offering to sell, selling, and importing under US
patent; and use of a mark in commerce under US
trademark law.

B.  The GPL doesn't say that it is an integrated
agreement.  Projects such as GNU/Linux and Classpath
are distributed with terms added to those of the GPL.
This seems to mean that a GPL project may be licensed
under terms additional to the GPL.

-----

Therefore, it seems that an owner of the relevant
rights could decide to license a project under the
GPL, with additional terms granting the permissions
mentioned in A.