basic questions

Jason White jasonjgw at pacific.net.au
Sun Feb 13 08:30:02 UTC 2005

Xavier Noria writes:

 > Now that I think, it would violate the very OSD #1 if it wasn't by that
 > trick, since it is not _the license_ which restricts the distribution
 > of MySQL together with a commercial application, but it is MySQL AB
 > _the company_ which establishes that condition.

But according to the last paragraph of section 2 of the GPL:

In addition, mere aggregation of another work not based on the Program
with the Program (or with a work based on the Program) on a volume of
a storage or distribution medium does not bring the other work under
the scope of this License.

which should help to answer the question.

Unfortunately the GPL doesn't contain a clause stating that it is the
entire agreement between the parties, so the licensor can presumably
modify its effect by statements made outside the license proper.
Whether that has occurred in this case is an interesting question on
which I would rather not comment, as anything I said would likely be
misinformed.