Best base license to pick?

John Cowan jcowan at reutershealth.com
Wed Feb 9 20:53:35 UTC 2005

Lawrence Rosen scripsit:

> There is a difference between "license allows" and "license requires." But
> anyway, that's just one person's opinion. I don't make decisions about
> license approval.

Construe, construe!

An open-source license must:

1. EITHER permit modified works to be distributed in modified form,
2. OR, forbid such distribution but allow distribution in pristine+patches form.

The QPL takes option 2; all other licenses take option 1.

> As for John Cowan's suggestion that I allow a modified version of the OSL to
> deal with this wrinkle, I'm not so inclined. Sorry. If the rules are simple
> and the licenses few in number, I believe, we're much more likely to grow a
> large commons of free and open source software.

Okay, then the Trolltech path alone is open to us.  I've contacted Trolltech
to get permission to derive a new license from the QPL.

--
XQuery Blueberry DOM                            John Cowan
Entity parser dot-com                           jcowan at reutershealth.com
    Abstract schemata                           http://www.reutershealth.com
    XPointer errata                             http://www.ccil.org/~cowan
Infoset Unicode BOM                                 --Richard Tobin