Derivative/collective works and OSL

David Dillard david.dillard at veritas.com
Mon Feb 7 15:38:40 UTC 2005

More reply inline...

I'm not talking about comments, I'm talking about function names, variable
names, class names, etc.  All of which have no meaning to a computer, but
hopefully have great meaning to a developer.

> > Thus, what you have after disassembly isn't nearly as easy to
> > successfully modify as the original.
>
> Sure.  The original source code is the preferred version of a
> program for a developer to work with.  A compiled version is
> the same program, only in the preferred format for a
> particular computer architecture to execute.
>
> [ ... ]
> >>
> >> You can't compile a tarball without extracting the
> contents any more
> >> than one could read a book mailed to you in a box without opening
> >> that box, first.
> >
> > I don't think you want to go there.  Someone could easily write a
> > compiler or a compiler preprocessor so that you could
> indeed compile a tarball.
>
> And just how would this compiler preprocessor work?  Would it
> not extract the contents of the tarball precisely as I'd said
> above...?

Exactly.  Which is why saying that "you can't compile a tarball" has no real
meaning.  Thus, why go there?

> There are filesystems out there which compress files
> transparently to the user, and decompress the data when the
> file is accessed.  The fact that an compressed file has a
> different sequence of bits on disk than an uncompressed file
> is a matter of packaging: the contents of the file remain the
> same.  Tar, zip, and other archive formats used for source
> code are lossless, so you can get the original contents back
> exactly.  Even with the comments, too.  :-)

At the user level this is true.  But it has to go thru a transformation
process.  Read those disk sectors directly and the contents of the file are
not the same (please keep in mind that I work for a company that does things
like that in products ;-)).