open source medical software

Kelly Anderson kelly at acoin.com
Wed Feb 2 19:36:45 UTC 2005

It's probably obvious from the previous replies, but I think it's worth
stating that you might consider breaking the project up into several
pieces, each of which has it's own license. This can give you more
flexibility than one license might be able to. You could get the benefit of
open source for the parts that are perhaps more generally applicable (many
eyes and so forth) and largely avoid the problems with the more
specifically medical parts for the majority of users. This would increase
the number of users for the parts that are more generally applicable,
giving you more of the benefits of open source to your overall project.

I'm curious about something though. As I understand it, the FDA tends to
look at "medical devices" as a whole system, hardware, software and
processes together. Does that mean that a Computer running Linux has to be
FDA approved prior to running an X-Ray machine with it, or examining
X-Rays, or whatever. The point here is that if the FDA has approved
"computers" and specifically "Linux" or "Windows XP", then there is
precedence for how they might deal with a multi-part piece of software.
Similarly, they may have approved the use of Oracle in a system, but maybe
not MySQL, or maybe they have approved both. If the "base" package can get
initial FDA approval, then it's only the smaller part (that might change
more frequently) that would have to go through the process regularly. I
guess my point here is to find out what the FDA has done with other open
source projects that may have been incorporated into medical devices,
because there had to have been one or two previous attempts. This also goes
to the idea of separating the pieces, as a general "Baysian Engine" might
get FDA approval on it's own more easily than the entire system.

IANAL, etc.

-Kelly