Binaries and the Open Software License

rich apodaca cheminformatik at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 2 15:36:12 UTC 2005

I can't find any reference in the OSL v2.1 to allowing
the licencee to use binaries or bytecode generated
from the licenced source code.

Let's say I develop a word processor and release it
under the OSL. One package I distribute is intended
for end users only and consists of a binary with the
licensing agreement and a notification of where the
source code is located.

What provision in the OSL gives an end user the right
to run or copy the application binary? They clearly
have a licence to the source code, but do they have
any rights to copy or run the binary representation of
that code?

If yes, then where in the licence (or legal precedent)
are these rights granted?

thanks in advance,
rich