new licensing model

Arnoud Engelfriet arnoud at engelfriet.net
Sun Dec 18 20:36:35 UTC 2005

Andreas Jellinghaus wrote:
> "open source" is by design a trademark, as far as I know, and you may
> only use it if the trad mark holder gives you permission to do so.

Actually, there's no trademark (that I know of) on the phrase
"open source". The OSI holds a trademark on "OSI Certified".

http://www.opensource.org/pressreleases/certified-open-source.php
http://www.opensource.org/docs/certification_mark.php

In practice most people seem to use "open source" to refer only
to software under an OSI Certified license. And competing efforts
so far have always used different names: shared source, community
source, etcetera.

Arnoud

--
Arnoud Engelfriet, Dutch & European patent attorney - Speaking only for myself