OVPL & "Otherwise Make Available" (was RE: Change ot topic,back to OVPL)

Lawrence Rosen lrosen at rosenlaw.com
Fri Aug 26 20:28:22 UTC 2005

> > External deployment occurs in the OSL when the software is
> > "used by anyone other than You," not when it merely
> delivers email to
> > those people.
>
> Does the prior discussion change this?

Not yet.

> I think the OSL would apply to the people responsible for
> setting up the mail server at their organization, assuming
> they were to run SMTP software licensed under the OSL.  But
> the OSL would not be applicable to people sending mail *to* that site.

More precisely, the SMTP software licensed under the OSL would be considered
*distributed* to the people responsible for setting up the mail server at
their organization (whether that is *external* depends on how "You" is
defined), but *not distributed* to people (e.g., named Joe Friendly
Stranger) sending mail *to* that site.

> And it would also not apply to Jane Random User who simply
> sends mail via her organization's SMTP server...?

I think, in common parlance, we often say that Jane is "using her
organization's SMTP server" to process her email. So if Jane is an employee,
she's part of "You." If Jane is a public user of an ISP ("You") that
provides SMTP services to the public, then I'd call that an "external
deployment."

I think we need to distinguish Jane Random User from the Joe Friendly
Stranger who just happens to send Jane some email.

Is that closer?

/Larry

Lawrence Rosen
Rosenlaw & Einschlag, technology law offices (www.rosenlaw.com)
3001 King Ranch Road, Ukiah, CA 95482
707-485-1242  *  fax: 707-485-1243
Author of "Open Source Licensing: Software Freedom and
   Intellectual Property Law" (Prentice Hall 2004)
   [Available also at www.rosenlaw.com/oslbook.htm]