Contracts vs. bare licenses (was RE: Change ot topic, back to OVPL)

Lawrence Rosen lrosen at rosenlaw.com
Thu Aug 25 17:14:54 UTC 2005

Alex Bligh wrote:
> I think what you are saying is <snip>
> the OSL is designed to be enforceable as a
> bare license, but the copyright holder may also (presumably
> arguing in the alternative) seek to show it is a contract,
> and if they succeed, they have the normal remedies for breach
> of contract.

Right!

Except in the third line you should replace "copyright holder" with
"Licensor." Licensors can enforce their own contracts even when they are not
the copyright holders of the underlying works.

This concept, I believe, is captured more cleanly in the most recent draft
of OSL 3.0 (www.rosenlaw.com/DRAFT-OSL3.0.pdf):

   9) Acceptance and Termination. If, at any time, You expressly assented to
this
   License, that assent indicates Your clear and irrevocable acceptance of
this
   License and all of its terms and conditions. If You distribute or
communicate
   copies of the Original Work or a Derivative Work, You must make a
reasonable
   effort under the circumstances to obtain the express assent of recipients
   the terms of this License. This License conditions Your rights to
undertake
   the activities listed in Section 1, including Your right to create
Derivative
   Works based upon the Original Work, and doing so without honoring these
terms
   and conditions is prohibited by copyright law and international treaty.
   Nothing in this License is intended to affect copyright exceptions and
   limitations (including "fair use" or "fair dealing"), nor to prevent You
and
   Licensor from agreeing separately to any other license terms. This
License
   shall terminate immediately and You may no longer exercise any of the
rights
   granted to You by this License upon Your failure to honor the proviso in
   Section 1(c) herein.

/Larry

Lawrence Rosen
Rosenlaw & Einschlag, technology law offices (www.rosenlaw.com)
3001 King Ranch Road, Ukiah, CA 95482
707-485-1242  *  fax: 707-485-1243
Author of "Open Source Licensing: Software Freedom and
   Intellectual Property Law" (Prentice Hall 2004)
   [Available also at www.rosenlaw.com/oslbook.htm]