Change ot topic, back to OVPL

Ben Tilly btilly at gmail.com
Thu Aug 25 01:01:35 UTC 2005

On 8/24/05, Alex Bligh <alex at alex.org.uk> wrote:

> --On 24 August 2005 16:47 -0700 "Smith, McCoy" <mccoy.smith at intel.com>
> wrote:
>
> > FSF has an FAQ on this point:
> > http://www.fsf.org/licensing/licenses/gpl-faq.html#GPLRequireSourcePoste
> > dPublic
>
> Sadly it is inaccurate (well, perhaps 'doesn't tell the full story'
> would be a better term). There is a three-limbed obligation under the GPL.
[...]

Isn't there another complication as well?  My understanding (IANAL and
all that) is that distribution of source code within a company is not
actually distribution for copyright purposes.  (Though giving copies
to contractors would be, and giving copies to people to take home
would be.)

Therefore a company may internally modify and distribute GPL software
without distributing source code.

http://www.fsf.org/licensing/licenses/gpl-faq.html#InternalDistribution
agrees with this, and I think that this case is particularly relevant
for David Barrett's situation.

Cheers,
Ben