Bruce Perens rejected from license-proliferation committee.

Rodent of Unusual Size Ken.Coar at Golux.Com
Tue Aug 23 16:17:33 UTC 2005

Ian Lance Taylor wrote:

> Just for the record, this completely misdescribes my complaint.  The
> issue I'm complaining about is the lack of democracy and transparency
> (both are important) in conjunction with the claim to act for the good
> of the community.
>
> Since I consider myself to be part of the community, it irritates me
> that the OSI claims to act on my behalf yet has no mechanism for
> actually finding out what I want.  In other words, I think that the
> OSI, as presently constituted, is presenting itself in a false light.

OSI currently formally consists of the nine-member board, less
formally including the committees, and informally including the
people on the various mailing lists.

So yes, at the moment it's not very representative of the
community, but rather of a largely self-selected set of
people with strong views.

I consider that suboptimal.  One step toward addressing it was
taken when four additional directors joined from four regions
*other* than North America.  There is more to be done.

The transparency issue is a difficult one, and I hope to contribute
to its solution over time.

With regard to the representation aspect, though, there is
already some motion in that direction.  Recently we created
the 'OSI membership project,' which is charged with 'examining
the issue of transforming the Open Source Initiative to a
membership-based organisation and providing recommendations
to the Board concerning it.'

Like the licence proliferation project, the membership
project is open for participation to everyone.  Unlike the
licence proliferation project, the actual membership ctte
is open-ended.