OVPL and the OSI Board on Thursday

David Barrett dbarrett at quinthar.com
Mon Aug 22 00:37:00 UTC 2005

On Sun, 21 Aug 2005 3:25 pm, Andy Tai wrote:
> You can use it at any time; there is no requirement of
> some approval before you can apply a license on your
> own work...

True.

However, Sourceforge won't host OVPL projects until the OSI approves
it.  Also, the OVPL is technically "pre-1.0" -- I would really like to
know the verbage of the "1.0", OSI-approved license before deciding upon
it.

And finally, the OSI stamp matters.  It'll be a challenge enough to
educate my developer community as to why I'm choosing anything other
than the "big two" (GPL and BSD).  That task is further complicated if
my choice hasn't yet obtained OSI approval.

Taken all together, I'd really prefer to wait for OSI approval before
making my big open-source code release.  But you're definitely right, if
it comes to a point where I can no longer wait, I can always go ahead
without OSI approval.

-david