OVPL and the OSI Board on Thursday

David Barrett dbarrett at quinthar.com
Sat Aug 13 23:03:26 UTC 2005

So any word on what, if anything, was decided on Thursday?  Ideally I'd
like to have clue as to which of the following statements is most true:

1) The OVPL will probably never be approved with any changes
2) The OVPL might be approved with significant changes
3) The OVPL would probably be approved with minor changes
4) The OVPL will probably be approved as is
5) The OVPL has been approved and is now OSI-certified.

As you might have guessed, I have a project on which I'm eager to use
the OVPL, and the OSI board's decisions affect how I proceed.  The
options that stand before me are:

a) (My preferred option) OVPL becomes OSI-certified, allowing me to
create a SourceForge project (they generally only support projects with
OSI-certified licenses) for releasing and hosting my code repository.

b) Alternatively, I could pick a different license and stick with
SourceForge.

c) Alternatively, I could go with the OVPL and create my own repository,
but this means effectively recreating a custom SourceForge -- not ideal.

Before I can make an informed decision, I need to know which way the OSI
board is leaning, or at least have some indication as to when I'll learn
which way they lean.

So... Any hints?  Any timeframe on when we might hear some hints?  Can
anything be done to accelerate or clarify the remaining process?

-david