Patent Act of 2005

John Cowan jcowan at reutershealth.com
Tue Apr 26 17:05:42 UTC 2005

Bruce Perens scripsit:

> Please see http://judiciary.house.gov/media/pdfs/comprint042005.pdf for
> an early print of the Patent Act of 2005. The bill does a number of good
> things for us, and currently has a really egregious portion that
> establishes a new standard for "reasonable and effective accessability"
> of prior art that would further reduce the standard for novelty of
> patents by making some prior art irrelevant. I am working on this, as
> are CCIA, EFF and the Public Patent Foundation.

It looks to me that if the prior art is findable by googling, then it's
reasonably and effectively accessible, which is a big win relative to
the previous de facto standard that prior art only exists in previous
patent filings.

--
But the next day there came no dawn,            John Cowan
and the Grey Company passed on into the         jcowan at reutershealth.com
darkness of the Storm of Mordor and were        http://www.ccil.org/~cowan
lost to mortal sight; but the Dead              http://reutershealth.com
followed them.          --"The Passing of the Grey Company"