Copy-Back License draft for discussion

Bruce Perens bruce at perens.com
Mon Apr 25 22:05:51 UTC 2005

Alex Bligh wrote:

> The phrase "distribute" in the OVPL is followed by "make otherwise
> available" which I take to include ASP deployment.

I don't think your language is adequate for that. It sounds as if you
are missing the difference between making the text of a work available
to others, which is why copyright law would apply, and performance of
the work. Public performance is a separate right under copyright law,
but is explicitly defined in the U.S. copyright title to only apply to
certain kinds of work: plays, audio recordings, but not software. But
you didn't even say "perform" or "use".

    Thanks

    Bruce