What is the best copy-left license for a library if you want to allow linking?

John Cowan jcowan at reutershealth.com
Tue Apr 19 02:39:47 UTC 2005

Brant Sears scripsit:

> Hi. I have a library I've been working on for a while in my spare time
> that I want to distribute as open source.
> I want people to be able to freely use my library in commercial
> products without having to open source the product itself or provide
> object files to relink to my library (which the LGPL requires). Other
> than that issue, I like the GPL.

If you want to require redistribution of modified versions of the library,
use the MPL, CPL, or CDDL.  Otherwise, use the BSD, MIT/X, or AFL.

All Gaul is divided into three parts: the part          John Cowan
that cooks with lard and goose fat, the part            www.ccil.org/~cowan
that cooks with olive oil, and the part that            www.reutershealth.com
cooks with butter. -- David Chessler                    jcowan at reutershealth.com

More information about the License-discuss mailing list