Best licence for my software?

Matthew Seth Flaschen superm40 at comcast.net
Sun Apr 17 03:55:52 UTC 2005

>>>A) University employees, students and researchers should be able, in
>>>connection with their work/studies/research in their university, to copy, use
>>>and modify both my Library/API and my Application without restrictions as
>>>long as I get proper credit. The MIT Licence seems to do this job well, but
>>>it is not restricted only to university people.

    I don't think you'll find anyone here who will help you with that.
Neither will any of the licenses on opensource.org.  It violates numbers
5 and/or 6 of the definition of open source software according to
OSI(Open Source Initiative)[see http://opensource.org/docs/definition.php]

>>>B) Everyone else who wants to use the Library/API outside the context of
>>>university studies should be able to copy, use and modify my Library/API
>>>under a weak copyleft licence which will enable me to collect back their
>>>bugfixes/improvements/changes to my library/API and allow them to use this
>>>library in any software no matter their licence. The LGPL and CDDL licences
>>>seem good for this requirement.

The LGPL would work well.  I recommend it, because it's completely GPL
compatible, which allows GPL developers, of which there are many to use
that code in GPL work.

>>>C) Non-university people should be able to copy, use and modify the actual
>>>application I produced (which uses my library/API) under a strong copyleft
>>>licence which will prohibit them from incorporating the application's code in
>>>proprietary programs. The GPL licence seems to be the best one for this job.

The GPL is one of the most powerful copyleft licenses around.

>>>D) GPL projects should be able to incorporate any part of my Library/API and
>>>Application code.

As stated, the LGPL allows this.

>>>Which licence is the best one to license my software, in your opinion?

I would go with LGPL for the library and GPL for the rest.(this ignores
your separation of university students and employees, which isn't
opensource, according to OSI and me) :)