OSI's war on corporate licenses

Brian Behlendorf brian at collab.net
Wed Apr 13 22:46:51 UTC 2005

On Tue, 12 Apr 2005, Peterson, Scott K (HP Legal) wrote:
> Thus, I believe there is value in paying somewhat more attention to the
> proliferation of copyleft licenses than to proliferation of non-copyleft
> licenses.

I agree with this analysis.  It would also be appropriate to ask authors
of copyleft licenses to consider modifications that could enable greater
combination with non-copyleft licenses.  For example, the FSF says the GPL
and Apache License 2.0 are incompatible due to the (very modest) patent
termination clause in Apache.  Yet, the FSF says such language is needed
and some form of patent language will be in GPLv3.  Despite that, somehow
it's Apache's fault that the licenses are incompatible.  Where's the
public pressure on the FSF to come out with a GPLv2.next that might
address this sooner?  It might be easier to add a clause to the existing
GPL than wait for GPLv3 to come out.

 	Brian