CDDL vs. MPL assymmetry (was Re: Mistaken statement about MPL?)

Forrest J. Cavalier III forrest at mibsoftware.com
Wed Apr 13 15:25:00 UTC 2005

Mitchell Baker wrote:

> You're right, I got the wrong acronym here.  There are a set of licenses
> that collapse the grants into one.  It's simpler to do this, but may not
> be better, as I noted. Then again, perhaps I'm totally wrong about what
> was intended by "asymmetrical"  Someone else noted this is not clear
> what this term is supposed to mean.   Maybe it refers to some other
> clause entirely?

When I catalogged licenses for LIDESC, I created symbolic license tags
instead of using English descriptions.  This helps reduce confusion.

I am not sure, but what other people seem to be calling "asymmetric" license
clauses correspond to most of the items which have a "_3" somewhere in the
LIDESC license tag.

Some clauses favoring specific parties are not OSD-compatible, but here are
some examples of tags, along with links to a page with examples.

(As stated before on this list, the license catalogging for all OSI approved
licenses is not completed, and having people review the catalogging would
be great!)

You can see the full list of tags at:
    http://www.mibsoftware.com/librock/lidesc/tags.htm

Maybe people could be specific about what they mean by assymetric....
-------------
librock_DM_3MSRCDIFFLIC
     The original developer or a third-party must
     be given the right to license derivative works under
     different or more restrictive terms.

Examples of this type of clause in licenses:
     http://www.mibsoftware.com/librock/lidesc/exlibrock_DM_3MSRCDIFFLIC.htm

-------------
librock_3MSRC_1
     If you create derivative works at all, you must make the sources available
     to a specific party, such as the original developer.

Examples: http://www.mibsoftware.com/librock/lidesc/exlibrock_3MSRC_1.htm

-------------
librock_3MSRC_1C_DEPLOY
     If you deploy derivative works (internal use which is not for research
     and development purposes), you must make the sources available to
     a specific party, such as the original developer.

(No examples catalogged so far.)

librock_DM_3MSRC
     If you distribute modifications, you must make the sources available
     to a specific party, such as the original developer.

Examples: http://www.mibsoftware.com/librock/lidesc/exlibrock_DM_3MSRC.htm

librock_3MSRC_1C
     If you create derivative works, you must make the sources available
     to a specific party, such as the original developer, in some cases.

(No examples catalogged so far.)