OSI's war on corporate licenses

Mike Milinkovich mike.milinkovich at eclipse.org
Tue Apr 12 21:20:17 UTC 2005

OK, just when I thought I understood, I am confused again.

Bruce defined the term as: "...licenses that grant rights on new
modifications to the initial developer that are not granted to all of the
other developers".

Chuck then expands the conversation to use BSD as an example of such a
license. It doesn't take long to read the BSD license, and I do not see any
asymmetrical license grants in that license as defined by Bruce. In fact,
the BSD does not grant any licenses to any modifications to anyone from what
I can see. Based on Bruce's definition, the BSD should not be considered
asymmetrical.

So which one is correct?

I really don't mean to seem pedantic here. But if we cannot agree on what a
word means, it doesn't seem to me that we will ever be able to agree on
anything. Or even agree to disagree. Which is the more likely case from what
I read on this mailing list ;-)

----
Mike Milinkovich
Executive Director,