Official License Anti-Proliferation policy?

Smith, McCoy mccoy.smith at intel.com
Tue Apr 12 19:17:38 UTC 2005

From: Chuck Swiger [mailto:chuck at codefab.com]

<snip>

For example, I think that when a license is depreciated, there ought to
be a statement made by the original author (and/or the OSI board if the
decision is not agreed-upon by all concerned) notifying people of this,
containing a recommendation what projects using that license ought to
use.

>>From Intel's perspective, we think deprecation should not affect code
that was licensed using a particular license before the license was
deprecated.  Hence the use of the term "deprecation" (as that term is
used in computer programming:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deprecate ,
i.e., obsolete for future uses) rather than "de-certification."  We also
would not want to give legal advice to people as to any particular
alternative license they might wish to choose if the Intel Open Source
License were deprecated.  I'll leave it to OSI as to whether a wizard or
some other informational matrix might be a helpful aid for people who
want guidance on choosing a license and don't have the resources of an
in-house lawyer to give them advice.<<