Official License Anti-Proliferation policy?

Joel West svosrp at gmail.com
Tue Apr 12 01:01:45 UTC 2005

On 4:06 PM -0700 4/11/05, Ernest Prabhakar doth scribe:
>Is this for real, or just media rumor-mongering?  Not that I particularly mind either way, but I'd like to be sure. :-)
>
>http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1759,1783791,00.asp

It's real.

http://www.opensource.org/weblog/2005/04/08#licenseproliferation

OSI News Weblog
Fri, 08 Apr 2005

OSI Statement on License Proliferation
The OSI has issued a statement on license proliferation.

http://opensource.org/docs/policy/licenseproliferation.php

License Proliferation
Executive Summary

* OSI is responding by instituting stricter criteria for license approvals.
* From now on, approved licenses must meet three new criteria of being (a) non-duplicative, (b) clear and understandable, and (c) reusable.
* We will be moving to a three-tier system in which licenses are classified as Preferred, Approved, and Deprecated.

Joel