Two new licenses - OVPL & OVLPL

Bruce Perens bruce at perens.com
Mon Apr 11 15:47:11 UTC 2005

Kevin Bedell wrote:

>If the license requires me to provide a license to the ID of my
>modifications in order for me to redistribute code under the license, I'd
>question whether or not that could be considered "Free Redistribution".

Although the license to the original developer is onerous, It still
allows you to freely redistribute the work. The relationship is
assymetrical, but not outside of Open Source. The fields-of-endeavor
test would be the one you should apply to this provision, it passes that
too.

>"5. No Discrimination Against Persons or Groups
>
>The license must not discriminate against any person or group of persons."
>
>Comment: This license clearly provides different rights for the ID than it
>provides for all others. I'd ask if this would be considered discrimination.

An additional rights grant is not discriminatory under OSD #5 if the
parties to whom the rights are NOT granted are still getting sufficient
rights for it to otherwise be considered an Open Source license.

    Thanks

    Bruce