License Wizard

Mike Wattier geek at devcompany.com
Fri Apr 8 19:11:31 UTC 2005

Hi,

>On Friday 08 April 2005 5:19 am, Brian O'Byrne wrote:
> It seems to me that creating a complete and closed tree of questions
> is a horrendously complex task, and will be difficult to maintain as
> new licenses come on stream.

and does nothing to communicate the true "general concensus". It seems that
putting a nice front end on a "wizard" that only returns a hard coded set of
results is a bit un-democratic and can not really be trusted to help make a
"decision" based on the widest cross section of available input.

why not provide an interface where the "legal" folks can provide their input
and assign their own "weight" to each license/question/attribute via a web
form, still using your -100/100 scale, then open this up to the public.

License attributes can then, i think as previously mentioned, examined side by
side in a matrix view, but with scores and the scoring methods exposed point
by point.

Obvious "score rigging" can be tossed out by ignoring high/low scores.  This
would enable the user to get more of an "Average" of the views out there and
provide better insight into the concensus of the industry at any given time.
Lawyer type users can maintain an account and revise their opinions and
re-weight attributes over time. You could still exert a certain amount of
control over the input of the weight.. eg.. only "approved" lawyers / legal
minds are used in the calculation.

I'm surprised the OSI has never commissioned something like this. The
possibilities for this are endless and it's not that hard to do. Might be a
cool project, whatever the design decision result, if php is the language of
choice I would gladly donate code and  consultation to the effort. Why don't
you start something on one of the project sites and let the community
participate, I'll bet it gets done pretty quickly, there are lots of talented
software developers out there who would like to understand all this a lot
better than they do. This could help.

have a great day
Mike