"viral" (was RE: Licensing options for firmware)

Benjamin Rossen b.rossen at onsnet.nu
Thu Apr 7 14:53:55 UTC 2005

On Thursday 7 April 2005 16:30, Nick Moffitt wrote:
> begin  Benjamin Rossen  quotation:
> > > That's a roundabout way of saying, "hateful in another sense."
> >
> > "Viral" is not a synonym for "hateful in another sense."
>
> Okay, I say we keep arguing denotation vs connotation past
> each other for at least two more weeks. I just can't get enough of
> these useless flame wars!

I don't think it is a flame war; rather a clarification of terminology and
ideas, at times posted with tonge in cheek. However, it has been going around
in circles for a while; unnecessarily, since most people seem to agree that
'virus' cannot be correctly applied to Open Source Software.

Chief Pedant.